The downside to an electronic pickup is that although
they work quite well 99.999% of the time, they DO fail
and usually with little to no warning (with points,
any performance loss is typically gradual, giving you
plenty of time to do something about it before they
fail altogether - and even then, roadside tweaks are
usually enough to manage limping home) - Buy two and
carry a spare, or join AAA before you drive any
further than you can afford the tow bill from.

On the L-Jetronic, the ignition "points" signal is
also what initiates the fuel injection
events...apparently there's no problem using the
Compufire, I've seen many installed on FI Beetles.