Ray,
I suspect that what happened here is when the front end was rebuilt the wrong
shim table was used. Starting in March of 1960 the control arms were modified
to accept a dust shield at each link pin; each shield is the thickness of two
shim washers so only eight washers total were used per link pin instead of the
ten required on the earlier setup. If this is what happened, you'll need to
pull it apart and add two shims at the inboard location on each link pin.
Here are the two shim tables:
http://oacdp.freeweb7.com/wog69/059.png

IIRC the VW P/N for the shims is 111 405 527. You might be able to find some
collecting dust somewhere - I'd call around to local VW repair shops.
Sway-A-Way sells special hardened ones for $55 per 40 (you can buy a complete
Brazilian 111 498 051A linkpin kit for about half of that!). I've only seen
individual shims offered for "Heavy Duty" linkpins which are specialty
larger-diameter (5/8") off-road parts.

Hopefully someone on the list will have eight surplus shims laying around they
can mail you...