What kind of distributor does it have on it?  Does it have a vacuum chamber
or not?  If it doesn't, those need to be set so they are 28 to 32 degrees
BTDC at 3000 to 3500 rpm.  The BEST dizzy I've found is the SVDA which you
set much like a centrifugal distributor (that has no vacuum chamber) with
the vacuum line plugged and once you set the timing, you plug in the vacuum
chamber.  It pulls the best of any distributor I've ever found..  The key
with a VW isn't setting the timing at idle.  It's setting it for the maximum
amount of advance possible at RPM (when the advance curve peaks out and
there is no more advance left) so that way you don't accidentally overheat
the engine.

NQ