I think there are a couple of ways to do this.  When on the link, you can press
the control plus a mouse click to bring up the context menu.  This only works
if your mouse pointer is following the VO cursor.  Then choose the option you
feel most comfortable with like download link.  Another option is to go ahead
and open the pdf as you usually would in Safari, then go to the File menu and
choose save as.  Then save the pdf where ever you like.  Then you can open up
preview then open the document in preview.  I apologize, it's been a long time
since I've done this.  I hope this all makes sense.

Let me know if you get stuck,
Christina