Hi Suzanne.

Yes, in general whether you're blind and using a tactile overlay, or sighted
and simply want/need to have your phone in an Otterbox Defender case, screen
sensitivity is an issue.
If you go onto Amazon and read reviews of the Otterbox Defender cases,
you'll see many folks complaining about the fact that the built-in screen
protector that's part of the OtterBox case alone, impacts screen
sensitivity.
Any distance from the phone screen itself, is going to effect the overall
sensitivity when it comes to screen contact.
That being said, we sell a lot of the Otterbox screen protectors, so it
doesn't appear to be anything that's a deal breaker for most.
It might be helpful for you if someone on this list who uses the Defender
with our screen protector can weigh in on this discussion to give you a bit
more info about overall screen sensitivity and how they feel it does or does
not impact their use of the phone.
I only can speak for what our customers say and how many we sell. I prefer
not to use that particular case because if I must have bulk on my phone, I
want it to mean something; so I either use a case that will extend my
battery life, or if I want something more low profile, I'll use the Otterbox
Impact which does not require a special cut protector and does not enclose
my phone.
It's personal preference really.

As far as sliding the phone into the belt clip, it's like a holster. You can
put your phone inside its shell in one of two ways; either slide it into the
clip with the screen side facing out or in.
Facing inward, once snapped in place, the phone is completely enclosed and
the screen isn't exposed; so you'd need to slide the belt clip off to use
the phone.
With the screen facing out, of course, if you've got it that way and you're
running around with it on your belt or something and you run through the
bushes, your protector could scratch.
I've seen folks carry it both ways. That again is a preference thing from
what I've noticed.

I'm emailing you off list about the specifics of replacing your screen
protector, because I have some additional questions for you and do not want
to clutter the list unnecessarily.
Amy Billman
Check out my company for your screen protector and phone accessory needs!
SpeedDots: the makers of the tactile screen protector
http://www.SpeedDots.com
Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/SpeedDots
Like us on Facebook: