The screen curtain does now dim the back light when it is activated. In some of
the earlier IOS releases, when you put on the screen curtain, it did not adjust
the brightness of the back light, all it did was make the screen black. In very
simple terms, you can think of these screens as a bright light that shines
through a transparent layer. By adjusting the colours and transparency of this
layer, the screen makes the various images it needs to. It is the back light
which really uses up the battery. So in earlier IOS releases where the back
light wasn't dimmed with the screen curtain there wasn't any benefit to the
battery of using the screen curtain. Now when the screen curtain is enabled,
the back light is dimmed to its minimum setting. Another consequence to this is
that now if you intend to leave screen curtain on all the time, there is now no
need to go into the screen brightness settings and turn it down and switch off
auto brightness. This is all effectively done for you by just turning on screen
curtain and if you do have to show something to a sighted person, they won't
have to strain to see it.

I certainly don't think that I would get anything like an extra 5 hours myself
and I can't see how having the screen curtain on should make any difference to
whether some apps work

Garth

www.iblindtech.com
Follow me on twitter @BlindTechMusing