It looks to me like the iPhone just stores the headers for your last 50
emails, so it shouldn't be taking up a lot of space on your iPhone.

Your ISP and your email provider don't have to be the same, for example,
my ISP is Time Warner, but I use Gmail for my mail provider.

Google let's you copy mail into it's IMAP servers, so you could move
from another ISP to Gmail, just by copying your mail over in your email
client. I'm not sure what other email providers offer.

You could also copy all of your email to your PC by going into the
working off line settings. You can specify which folders you want
synchronized to your PC. I'm not sure how you'd get that email loaded up
into your new IMAP provider though.

Note that I just have a Notes database on my PC from when I was using
POP and Lotus Notes for my email client. I just keep that around in case
I ever need to look up any of that old email. I could move that into
Gmail if I wanted to though.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail