Look for the caveat regarding the U2 at the end of my post.  It will be below
the answer to your last question.

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 5:24 PM
Subject: Replacing Braille Notetaker with iDevice

Hi, I'm curious to hear from people who have replaced their Braille
notetaker with an iDevice. I've been toying with the idea of investing in a
U2 for reading books, taking notes and performing similar quick tasks.

Questions:

1. I've heard there are displays that let you type text and then send to the
iDevice in one burst. I don't understand the mechanics of this, but what are
the displays you know that do this?

I think you are referring to Bluetooth; where the display is paired with the
iPhone.

Braillesense U2, U2Mini, 18-cell model;
Humanware Braillenote Apex 18 and 32-cell models;
Baum VarioUltra, 20-cell and 40-cell models, these have the distinction of
ability to connect to four devices simultaneously;
Freedom Scientific Focus 14 and 40 cell models;
APH Refresh-a-Braille 18-cell model;
BraillePen 12-cell model.

I do not have personal experience with the APH or the BraillePen.  I have seen
some negative reviews of the Braille Pen though.

2. Is Braille input in iOS as dreadful as some people have made it out to be? I
don't mind learning various keystrokes, but I do mind delays in transmition.

In my experience, no.  There will be a slight delay--probably less than a
second.

3. Is there a means to read BRF in iOS?

Yes, NLS Bard will read .brf titles.
Other options would be AccessNote from AFB, or renaming the .brf file to a .txt
and importing it into the iPhone with Dropbox.

4. What 32-cell display would you personally recommend?
Since each display has its own feature set and command distinctions, I am
hesitant to recommend one over another.  A lot of it could be personal
preference.

I am hesitant to recommend the HIMS models at this time; look on their listserv
and note that many people are having difficulties with the latest release of
their software causing the notetaker to become almost non-functional.  You need
to do hard resets and re-install the software.  After you do that, it works for
awhile and then the problems re-occur.  This is with there software version
8.2, build release April 27, 2015.

My wife has been in communication and HIMS USA is aware of the problem, but it
is uncertain when a corrected release will be issued by the powers that be in
South Korea.  But, there are a lot of users who aren't happy particularly if
they use it as a GPS device and are in the middle of a rooute when it locks up;
or people relying on it for work or college.

I am an Apex user.  In my view, I like the feature set of the HIMS products
better and the interface makes more sense to me because it is more like working
with Windows.  But, dot quality for reading Braille is better on the Humanware
products; and whereas my wife has had to have her unit serviced several times
for cell failure; my Apex is going strong after five years with no repairs.

Steve
Lansing, MI

Thanks guys for any help.

Joe