Anna,

I haven't read all of this thread but I think I've read enough to get the
gist.

I'm concerned because what I've gathered is that users will no longer be
able to manage backups of their apps on their local computers. Am I
interpreting this thread correctly about that? Does this also mean that
fetching an app using iTunes on ones' computer instead of grabbing it with
your iDevice will no longer be possible?

My major concern is that not everyone chooses to use the latest and often
not the greatest version of an app. For example, I use Audible version 2.4.2
versus the current version 2.6.x and I'm still using Fleksy VO which is no
longer available in the Apps Store. If my iPhone croaks or if I choose to
upgrade it, what versions of my apps that I've backed up using iTunes will
be restored to my replacement iPhone should I do an iTunes restore if I'm
not able to save my apps locally?

Is Apple going to force everyone to be on the latest version of an app
should a restore be required? I'm not confident they are going to track the
specific app versions everyone is running and make those various versions
available for download from the cloud. This would certainly be possible but
I'm doubtful that model will be pursued. It is much less costly for them to
try an force the current versions on everyone.

I hope I've missed something and what I've outlined above will not be the
practice going forward but I welcome clarification and further comments on
this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Alan Lemly