I am not sure if Humanware is still making the Brailliant BI 32 and 40, but it has no builtin functions of its own.
The Braille Edge from HIMS is 40 cells, should sell for no more than $3,000 and you may be able to find a vendor who sells it for 1 or 2 hundred less. I wouldn’t bother with the Focus 40 from Freedom Scientific. It does not seem to be as well made and has no built-in functions. The Vario Ultra 40 is going to run you about $3,400, has more builtin storage, but also has a key layout that some do not find very comfortable. And, the internal note taker takes a fair amount of getting used to and the default settings seem a bit odd. But, it can connect to several Bluetooth devices and you can switch devices on the fly. I’m not sure anyone else is making a display with 32 or 40 cells right now. I have the Braille Edge and like it a lot, though the note taking feature is very basic, it connects with the iPhone very nicely. You do have to install the aJaws drivers and the USB driver if you plan to use it via USB with Jaws and at least the USB driver for NVDA. I do not know what the driver situation is with the Vario Ultra. If you don’t want any of the built-in functions, the Brailliant BI might be a good choice. The Braille Edge, the Vario Ultra and the Humanware are all very well made. If you want to use it on the go, the Vario Ultra comes with a good case for that. The Braille Edge, unless you find a deal that includes the Executive Products case, would require buying that case extra for about $100. I believe the Brailliant comes with a good case, but it has been a long time since I saw one. HTH, Richard From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Arnold Schmidt Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2016 1:23 PM To: [email protected] Subject: Which Braille Display To Buy? I don't have the money in hand yet, but I might become able to buy a braille display. I would want at least 32 cells, preferably 40, and would use it both with a pc running Windows 10, with either Jaws, or NVDA, and my iPhone, the iPhone being the more important. I don't know much about braille displays, I admit that I have never actually used one. I never thought I would have the money I could use to buy one. So, if it were your own money buying it, which one would those of you who use them recommend? I know about the Braille Edge, the Brilliant, and the one from Freedom Scientific, there may be others. I know the answer to this question depends upon who one asks, but I am seeking opinions, in case this actually happens. Thanks for any opinions. Arnold Schmidt -- The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected] The archives for this list can be searched at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> . To post to this group, send email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> . Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. -- The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor and your owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected] The archives for this list can be searched at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
