From: 'Sandratomkins' via VIPhone [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com]
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2016 9:28 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Roomba 980 with an app!

Sieghard,

    I can see you are wavering here!? Just to explain a little more: Re falling
downstairs, I cannot speak for the Neato vacs, as I haven't seen one, but all
of the Roombas have been equipped with a drop off sensor. I would like one on
the toe of my shoes!! I have, just about never had a Roomba hurl itself
downstairs. Usually, when they approach a drop off, they just swerve away.
Sometimes, if they get distracted by something (who knows what goes on in the
head of a vacuum cleaner?) they go too close to the drop and perch,
precariously, with one wheel off, bleeting, sulkily, to the world in general,
looking for a helping hand. Remember, I am speaking of older models, even my
latest one is about 6 years old. I imagine they are even more relyable
nowadays. Roombas talk! Unfortunately, mine is stuck in Bulgarian! This was my
own fault, but it did lead to a sudden and dramatic growth in my linguistic
skills.

    As I said, we do retain corded vacs as well. I think it fair to say that if
you are very fussy, and I did use to be, you might want to give the house a go
over, every 1/3 months. And yoou can't do stairs with the robots.

    Because I have both been researching the latest Roomba/Neato with a view to
purchasing and, at the same time, looking for maintenance tips for my old one,
I see, from the various fora that people do buy and try, taking advantage of
the "cooling off" return option. I don't know anything about that though.When I
got my last Guide Dog, here in Ireland, I was so smitten with my first Roomba,
which I had had for a few years, that I persuaded the Guide Dog Centre to
approach IRobot, who make the Roomba for a freeby, with fthe idea that students
might have the chance to watch it in action, and I know that some bought them
on the strenth of that introduction.

    For anyone considering looking further into these Bots, I can only say it
is worth a deal of research. They have different strenths and the latest and
greatest is not always the best.Lastly, comparing a robot vac with a generic
corded one is a bit specious. They do the work for you! They may miss bits
sometimes, but not as much as I do when manually vacuuming. They can do it when
you are out! The are usable by people with other issues of a more physical
nature. In theory, someone who is bed-ridden could keep their independence re
the state of their floors. And, isn't this the beginning of the robot era!

    Well, these are my thoughts,

    Happy pondering! Sandy

sent from the dark side of the moon

On 30 May 2016, at 16:21, Sieghard Weitzel