Last I heard, which was not very long ago, according to a recent issue of the Economist, Android has over 80 percent of the smart phone market. So I would say that Apple is getting serious competition already.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:07 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: WWDC event, was it yesterday?

I would claim that Apple is getting real competition from other smart
phone makers. I haven't checked the numbers lately, but Android in
general and Samsung in particular outsell IOS and i Phones. Even if
Apple has let over Samsung or is doing better in particular markets, I
think Apple would be crazy not to consider this serious competition.

Note, I'm not saying Android or Samsung is better than IOS or Apple, but
I just don't think it's true that they aren't real competition for the
iPhone.