I have some thoughts regarding your email delete problem, but I am far from
being an expert.

You said that you have tried the Gmail app.  So I assume you have a Gmail
account.  If you are using the IMAP email protocol, I think it deletes the mail
from the server and all other devices when you delete a message from your
iPhone.  But I do not use IMAP, so I could be wrong.

If you use POP3 email protocol, you can change settings on your iPhone to
"never delete from the server".  To do this:
Go to Settings > "Mail, Contacts, Calendars"
Then double tap your email address.
Scroll down and double tap the "Advanced" button.
Double tap the "Delete from server" button.
You have 3 choices for when to delete mail from the server.  Your choices are:
•       Never
•       7 Days
•       When removed from Inbox

Double tap the one you want.
Double tap the "Back" button In the upper left corner of the screen to go back
to the "Advanced" settings page.
Double tap the "Back" button in the upper left corner of the screen again to go
back to the settings for your email account.
Double tap the "done" button in the upper right corner of the screen to save
the changes you made.  If you don't want to save any changes, double tap the
"Cancel" button in the upper left corner of the screen.

Hope this helps.
Rob Armstrong