I understand how it works, and when it does work it works well. But most of the
time, I get to a threaded message say with six messages I open the thread and
flick up and down only one messages read even though my route to setting is set
to messages so at least half of the time it doesn't work correctly. In case it
helps others, the best way I have found to work with messages is to flick up in
the rotor to you get to expand, double tap on expand to expand the messages
then write flick to navigate through the messages and each message 1 ounce it
summary which generally gives you enough information to know with you need to
open it or not.

Cheers Brett.