Hello, Here is what I have found on what Apple may be working on for a future
device. It is just speculation, but it is fun to watch the ideas.

Apple Developing Wireless-Charged iPhone for as Soon as 2017 - Bloomberg

Apple Inc. is working with partners in the U.S. and Asia to develop new
wireless charging technology that could be deployed on its mobile devices as
soon as next year, according to people familiar with the plans.

Apple is exploring cutting-edge technologies that would allow iPhones and iPads
to be powered from further away than the charging mats used with current
smartphones, the people said, asking not to be identified as the details are
private. The iPhone maker is looking to overcome technical barriers including
loss of power over distance with a decision on implementing the technology
still being assessed, they said.

With iPhones and iPads generating more than three quarters of Apple’s revenue,
new technologies can give its devices an edge and help the company sell
products at a premium
<http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-01-26/apple-s-premium-for-its-phones-defies-gravity-as-sales-soften>
 in a slowing market. Samsung Electronics Co., Sony Corp. and Google Inc. are
among rivals that have released wirelessly-charged smartphones that still
require proximity to a charging plate.

Efficiency of power transfer decreases as the distance between transmitter and
receiver grows, which means batteries take longer to recharge.

Trudy Muller, a spokeswoman for Apple, declined to comment when contacted by
Bloomberg News.

Developing Technology

In 2010 Apple made a patent application
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=9,086,864.PN.&OS=PN/9,086,864&RS=PN/9,086,864>
 outlining a concept of using an iMac personal computer as a hub for wirelessly
recharging at a distance of about 1 meter using a technique called near-field
magnetic resonance. Apple currently uses a similar technique, called induction,
to charge its Watch within millimeters of the power source.

Another Apple patent <http://pimg-fpiw.uspto.gov/fdd/13/095/092/0.pdf> outlined
a method for making aluminum phone casings that allow radio waves to pass
through, a technique that would minimize the problem of metal interfering with
transmitted signals.

Apple has previously played down
<http://allthingsd.com/20120912/interview-phil-schiller-on-why-the-iphone-5-has-a-new-connector-but-not-nfc-or-wireless-charging/>
 its interest in any charging technology that still needs to be plugged into a
wall socket because such methods would add little convenience.

Semiconductor makers Broadcom
<https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless-connectivity/wireless-charging/bcm59350>
 Corp. and Qualcomm
<https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/07/28/qualcomm-becomes-first-company-enable-wireless-charging-mobile-devices>
 Inc. are among those who have developed or are developing technology and
standards for wireless charging.

Broadcom offers a chip that supports the three major wireless-charging
<https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless-connectivity/wireless-charging/bcm59350>
 technical standards while Qualcomm supports two of those technologies and last
year said it has developed a method to skirt the problem of metallic
interference
<https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/07/28/qualcomm-becomes-first-company-enable-wireless-charging-mobile-devices>
 in charging by connecting the power antenna to the phone’s casing.

Sorry for the long post. I thought this was an interesting read. Here is the
direct link to the article on the web.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-29/apple-said-developing-wireless-charged-phone-for-as-soon-as-2017-ijz3i4si

Ed