I have tried Airpods at an Apple Store and spend a good 15 minutes listening to
various types of music as well as a bit of an audio book. I agree that they
sound slightly better than Earpods, but I wouldn’t say that is a “Wow
experience” type difference and the fit is exactly the same, think of the
earpods with the cable cut off at the end of the little plastic part that
sticks down.
It’s interesting how perception differs, I think the wired Apple Earpods are by
far the best sounding earbuds that are not noise-isolating and especially in
that price range. I also have a pair of $200 V-Mota over the ear headphones
with beautiful soft leather earcups and they sound great, but they definitely
don’t sound 6 times as good. I have a feeling if you don’t like Earpods that
Airpods may also not be to your liking and you might want to look at something
like the new Beats X which are actually a bit less expensive and they have a
cord/cable connecting the two earbuds and there is a fully functional remote
built into this cable whereas with Airpods all you can do is to answer/hang up
a call, invoke SIRI and pause playback by taking them out of your ear, there is
no way to control volume unless you bring up SIRI to raise or lower the volume.
Otherwise you have to use the iPhone itself for volume, skip/rewind, play/pause
etc.
I am definitely waiting to see what the next generation of Airpods bring, I’m
pretty sure they’ll also come out with the second generation this fall and
hopefully Apple for once listened to what the customers want which definitely
is volume control and at least the basic functions of rewind and skip and I’d
love to see a small hole molded in the plastic which would allow you to connect
a cord so it’s not quite as easy to loose one. And of course Apple could make
said cord in 10 different colours for 5 Cents, sell it as the “Aircord” for
$9.99 and add a bit more cash to the quarter trillion Dollars they already have
on hand.