Hi Robin,

First of all, let’s just wait and see, I highly doubt Apple will totally drop
Touch Id even if they have face recognition figured out. We’ll know next
Tuesday.
As for how a blind person should do this, well, as Alex says, it’s not that
difficult to point your phone towards your face from a foot or 2 away.
I would say it’s probably a lot easier than to make sure all 4 edges of  a page
are visible when you want to perform OCR on a document and while KNFB Reader
provides feedback, even that is not too hard with a bit of practice without
voice guidance.
Apart from that, reports say that it will even work with the phone lying on a
table pointing straight up and you sitting on a chair in front of the table,
let’s not forget that cameras do see more than what is straight in front of
them.
If you follow the rumours you find out that they are such that Apple is using a
special type of camera which can distinguish between a live face and a photo, I
think they are talking about infrared or something like that which obviously
would then probably sense body heat and more. Rumours also are that using face
recognition as Apple has implemented it will be much more secure than Touch Id
and even faster.
One thing I wonder of course is how Apple might prevent a couple of guys
grabbing somebody, taking their phone away from them and simply pointing it to
their face which would then unlock it. Of course if any sort of violence or
force was used it would also be possible to unlock with Touch Id even against
somebody’s consent, if you were twisting and moving your hand so it wouldn’t
read all the offenders would have to do is whack you on the head and knock you
out, then they can use your fingers all they want and when it comes right down
to it I bet most people would happily provide their unlock code if any pain was
inflicted.
Apparently Apple is building one safeguard into iOS 11 and that is that if you
press the home button (or maybe the power button if there is no more home
button) I think 5 times quickly Touch Id and Face Recognition will be disabled
and you will be required to enter your passcode. This of course can be done in
about 2 seconds or so and it definitely is some protection if you think you are
in any immediate danger to have your phone taken away.