I am also trying this out in the UK. I completely agree that we should be able to set current location as a user defined point of interest, so that a beacon can be used later - for example finding one’s way home. As for the overall product I think it is imaginative and empathetic as a work in progress. I found that if one overshoots the beacon one is heading for the sound does come from behind me. I have not yet tested the accuracy, but hope to do so soon. It is, of course an enormous battery hog; no surprise there.
I think as many people as possible should give it a good go and feed back to Microsoft.It can only encourage further development by the big tech boys and girls. Ian > On 12 Mar 2018, at 18:26, Ann Byrne <[email protected]> wrote: > > Unless I'm missing something, Soundscape does not give addresses. In my > home, when I ask for my location it tells mePark Blvd. is forty yards west. > Nothing about the house number. I tried to find a way to set my house as a > reference point, but so far hav en't. Also, the only voice is British, and > she/he echos like a person in a bathroom with no towels, making it difficult > to understand. someone with less than perfect hearing might have a problem > with it. the Around Me information does not include direction. So the grade > school, directly across the street from us, is mention beside the catholic > school two blocks south and the junior high which is two blocks east ... > without any information except the distance from where I am. > > there are lots of reference points--including benches near the wildlife > preserve that is half a mile away. Soundscape does not chatter continuously > about where you are, speaking only near intersections. this can be a plus. > > All that said, Soundscape is accurate, telling me that Park Blvd is behind > me, when it is actually behind me--information that sometimes confuses Nearby > Explorer. My favorite by far is Blind Square. I particularly like knowing > how far I have walked, which only Blind Square gives me. > -- > The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list. > > If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if > you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or > moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. > > Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: > [email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at > [email protected] > > The archives for this list can be searched at: > http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ > --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "VIPhone" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to [email protected]. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. -- The following information is important for all members of the V iPhone list. If you have any questions or concerns about the running of this list, or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself. Your V iPhone list moderator is Mark Taylor. Mark can be reached at: [email protected]. Your list owner is Cara Quinn - you can reach Cara at [email protected] The archives for this list can be searched at: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VIPhone" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/viphone. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
