I reset my phone yesterday using both the home and power button, then
restarted it and had voiceover, it is a $s running IOS 6.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Chittenden
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 1:25 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Should resetting the iPhone in IOS 6 cause loss of VoiceOver

Yes, as soon as I confirm this is the cause.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

On 10/10/2012, at 5:56, Scott Howell <scottn3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> The one thing you stated that caught my attention is regarding the Braille
display being connected. So, this problem does not occur provided the
display is not connected? If so, that is something and certainly worth
reporting to APple.

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 9:17 AM, David Chittenden <dchitten...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Scott,
>>
>> I have not yet been able to figure out any patterns yet. I managed to
make it lose VO again by having my braille display connected when I did the
power home reboot. The most annoying thing is that the rotors are both set
back to factory defaults each time VO is switched off. Also, triple-click
home is deactivated, so iTunes is necessary for restarting VO on the iPhone.

>> David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
>> Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
>> Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 10/10/2012, at 0:27, Scott Howell <scottn3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I have to admit that I have not used this reboot procedure more than
maybe a couple of times, yet I have not encountered this issue. So, is there
any particular pattern to reproducing the problem? FOr example, rebooting
repeatedly (within a period of time) such as maybe every five minutes for 10
times etc.? Perhaps rebooting the phone more than once a week? Also, is
there any particular app that has caused the condition which necessitated a
reboot? I am curious if there is in fact some pattern or application that
may be the cause for the loss of speech etc. when the phone is rebooted
using this technique.

have used the technique on my iPhone 5. In addition to losing VO, my braille
display would not connect after I started VO with iTunes. Also, VO was set
to factory defaults. I had to do another power home reboot before the
braille display drivers would load properly again. This is a fascinating
little bug.

iPhone and iPad many times and I havne't lost VO ever.  Maybe reset is not
the proper phrase as we are not technically resetting any settings, but
rather just clearing out memory "cobwebs" on the phone or pad.

waited 10 seconds an d the device comes back talking.

<kblac...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> [...]
re-set, holding down the home and sleep/wake buttons at the same time, does
indeed result in loss of VoiceOver and does so by design. In order to get
VoiceOver back, you must either get sighted help or connect the phone to a
computer and re-enable VoiceOver using iTunes. Moral of story: power off
only by holding down sleep/wake until the slider appears and then
double-tap.