Hey Kathy, this definitely shouldn't be the case. Doing a reset in the
manner you described simply forces the phone to reboot. It shouldn't
reset any of your settings.

To be safe though, I'd recommend popping into
Settings/General/Accessibility/Tripple click home, and setting the
tripple click home command to VoiceOver. That way you'll have a better
chance of getting the phone up and talking again should VoiceOver ever
be disabled, because you can simply press the HOME button three times
to toggle it.

Grant