From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
M. Taylor
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2020 6:44 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Caution against following advice to reset settings when reporting
iOS 14 issues to Apple Accessibility

Hello Alan,

I am so very sorry for what you have encountered.  It sounds like a nightmare.

I think the solution to your problem is to put your phone into DFU mode.

I am going to paste in an article that I just found, below.  I will also post
the article to the list in a separate thread for future reference.

In order to save time and get the article to you as quickly as possible, I will
not format the document in this paste; however I will format the document in
its separate thread.

Good luck, my friend, and let us know how it goes.

Mark

How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way

How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way By David Payette:  February 20,
2019

DFU stands for Device Firmware Update, and it s the deepest type of restore you
can do on an iPhone. An Apple lead genius taught me how to put iPhones into DFU
mode, and as an Apple tech, I ve done it hundreds of times.
Surprisingly, I ve never seen another article explain how to enter DFU mode the
way I was trained. A lot of the information out there is just plain wrong. In
this article, I ll explain what DFU mode is, how firmware works on your iPhone,
and show you step-by-step how to DFU restore your iPhone.
If you d rather watch than read (actually, both can be helpful), skip down to
our new YouTube video about DFU mode and how to DFU restore an iPhone.
What You Need To Know Before We Begin
        The Home Button is the circular button below your iPhone s display.
        The Sleep / Wake Button is Apple s name for the power button.
        You ll need a timer to count to 8 seconds (or you can do it in your
head).
        If you can, back up your iPhone to iCloud, iTunes, or Finder before put
your iPhone in DFU mode.
        NEW: Macs running macOS Catalina 10.15 or newer use Finder to DFU
restore iPhones.

How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode
1.      Plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes if you have a Mac
running macOS Mojave 10.14 or a PC. Open Finder if you have a Mac running macOS
Catalina 10.15 or newer. It doesn t matter if your iPhone is on or off.

2.      Press and hold the Sleep / Wake Button and Home Button (iPhone 6s and
below) or the volume down button (iPhone 7) together for 8 seconds.
3.      After 8 seconds, release the Sleep / Wake Button but continue to hold
the Home Button (iPhone 6s and below) or the volume down button (iPhone 7)
until your iPhone appears in iTunes or Finder.

4.      Let go of the Home Button or volume down button. Your iPhone s display
will be completely black if you ve successfully entered DFU mode. If it s not,
try again from the beginning.
5.      Restore your iPhone using iTunes or Finder.

How To Put An iPhone 8, 8 Plus, Or X In DFU Mode A lot of other websites give
false, misleading, or overcomplicated steps when telling you how to DFU restore
your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X. They ll tell you to turn off your iPhone first,
which is completely unnecessary. Your iPhone does not have to be off before you
put it in DFU Mode.
If you like our videos, watch our new YouTube video about how to DFU restore
your iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus. If you prefer to read the steps, the process is
actually a lot easier than they make it out to be! The process starts off just
like a hard reset.
1.      To DFU restore your iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus, quickly press and release
the volume up button, then quickly press and release the volume down button,
and then press and hold the side button until the screen goes black.
2.      As soon as the screen turns black, press and hold the volume down
button while continuing to hold the side button.
3.      After 5 seconds, release the side button but continue to hold the
volume down button until your iPhone shows up in iTunes or Finder.
4.      As soon as it appears in iTunes or Finder, release the volume button.
Ta-da! Your iPhone is in DFU mode.
Note: If the Apple logo is appearing on the screen, you held down the volume
down button for too long. Start the process over from the beginning and try
again.
How To Put An iPhone XS, XS Max, Or XR In DFU Mode The steps for putting an
iPhone XS, XS Max, XR in DFU mode are exactly the same as the steps for the
iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X. Check out our YouTube video about putting an iPhone
XS, XS Max, or XR in DFU mode if you re more of a visual learner! We use my
iPhone XS to walk you through every step of the process.
How To Put An iPhone 11, 11 Pro, Or 11 Pro Max In DFU Mode You can put an
iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max in DFU mode by following the same steps as
you would for an iPhone 8 or newer. Check out our YouTube video if you need
help working through the process.
If You d Rather Watch Than Read
Check out our new YouTube tutorial on how to put an iPhone into DFU mode and
how to perform a DFU restore if you d like to see it in action.

A Word Of Warning
When you DFU restore your iPhone, your computer erases and reloads every bit of
code that controls the software and hardware on your iPhone. There s the
potential for something to go wrong.
If your iPhone is damaged in any way, and especially if it s water-damaged, a
DFU restore may break your iPhone. I ve worked with customers who tried to
restore their iPhones to fix a minor problem, but water had damaged another
component that prevented the restore from completing. A useable iPhone with
minor problems can become completely unusable if a DFU restore fails because of
water-damage.
What s Firmware? What Does It Do?
Firmware is the programming that controls the hardware of your device. Software
changes all the time (you install apps and download new email), hardware never
changes (hopefully, you don t open your iPhone and rearrange its components),
and firmware almost never changes   unless it has to.
What Other Electronic Devices Have Firmware?
All of them! Think about it: Your washing machine, dryer, TV remote, and
microwave all use firmware to control buttons, timers, and other basic
functions. You can t change what the Popcorn setting does on your microwave, so
it s not software   it s firmware.
DFU Restores: All Day, Every Day.
Apple employees restore a lot of iPhones. Given the option, I d always choose a
DFU restore over a regular or recovery mode restore. This isn t official Apple
policy and some techs would say it s overkill, but if an iPhone has a problem
that can be resolved with a restore, a DFU restore stands the best chance of
fixing it.
Thanks for reading and I hope this article clarifies some of the misinformation
on the internet about how to enter DFU mode and why you d want to use it. I
encourage you to embrace your inner geekiness. You should be proud! Now you can
tell your friends (and kids),  Yeah, I know how to DFU restore my iPhone.
Thanks for reading and all the best, David P.