That is indeed strange and I would totally take this up the line. You can
actually email the CEO of Sonos, it's somewhere on their website, and while I
am sure that the CEO himself or herself does not read every message that is
sent, I would give that a try. This definitely is a stupid answer and not what
I am used to from Sonos. Keep in mind that people answer these emails so just
like with every tech support call you sometimes get an outstanding experience,
sometimes it's good and sometimes it may not be good. Having said this, I find
frequency response numbers are of limited use especially with small speakers, I
am also 53 years old and it is quite well known and documented that as you age
your ability to perceive extremely high frequencies dimenishes and if I am
impressed with how something sounds than that is good enough. Sonos allows
anybody a generous 45 days trial period, if you are not happy call them and
they'll even pay for shipping back the product and you get a full refund. I did
Google this and found an article which doesn't give the response exactly, but
it does mention that it goes down to 88 Hertz and it confirms how well the
speaker is designed and how good it sounds:

https://www.lifewire.com/sonos-play-1-measurements-4103874#:~:text=The%20%2D3%20dB%20bass%20response,speakers%20with%204.5%2Dinch%20woofers.

I don't think I would recommend you abandon your plans to get a Sonos system
just because of this reply, it's an awesome system, it's incredibly accessible
and the content offering you can access is pretty much next to none.

If you have bookshelf speakers you love there is nothing wrong with getting the
Sonos Amp, I put 3 of them into my new retail store, but since it was a huge
renovation I decided to also get their in-ceiling speakers as it was easy to
accommodate them. My actual retail space is a bit under 5,000 square feet,
about 60 feet wide and 80 long and I have 3 sets of the Sonance in-ceiling
speakers spaced throughout that space and they do an incredible job providing
music to that space. I have two sets of speakers connected to one of the Sonos
Amps, one set which is closer to the sales counter is driven separately by a
second Sonos Amp so we can keep the volume a bit lower if we want and the third
Sonos Amp drives a set of Polk Audio outdoor speakers in front of the store.

Best regards,
Sieghard