>From what I have been reading, demand for the iPhone 12 mini has been
>disappointing.
I will be surprised if there is a new model of the mini this fall.
I expect the mini will be discontinued after one year.

- Brad -

On Mar 16, 2021, at 12:47, Kelly Pierce <kellyt...@gmail.com> wrote:

For those wondering, I originally planned to upgrade to an iPhone 12
Mini, but my cell phone carrier sent me a regular iPhone 12 instead.
It took a few weeks to return the phone and receive a full refund. As
it turns out, the phone could not be returned without activating the
new SIM card sent with the iPhone 12. When the new SIM was activated,
the SIM in my iPhone 7 was instantly deactivated. Instead of giving me
a new SIM for my iPhone 7, the cell phone store put the iPhone 12 SIM
in my iPhone 7. Because the network showed the iPhone 12 SIM in active
use, the actual iPhone 12 SIM return could not be processed.
Eventually, the iPhone 12 SIM was deactivated and I returned to the
cell phone store to return my phone and have a new SIM put into my
iPhone 7.  Apparently, cell phone companies are extremely picky
associating the data attached to each SIM to the exact device. Part of
the issue is that the iPhone 12 is a 5g device and needs to access
certain frequencies not used by the 7. Therefore, it would be a waste
of network resources to set aside resources for my 7 on 5g frequencies
when they cannot be used.

After the return was processed at the national service center, I was
not credited for my initial down payment so I needed to call customer
service for resolution.  Once my account issues were resolved, I
discovered all the 256GB iPhone Minis were on a more than two-week
backorder.  Now it sounds like the backorder has cleared, but it is
about six months before the release of the 2021 iPhone lineup. With a
vastly improved 5G chip from QUALCOMM, increased battery size, more
storage, and LiDAR technology on all phones, this year’s lineup is set
to be more impressive than the iPhone 12 series. This is why I will be
waiting for the new iPhone mini rather than upgrading now. I very much
like the new design that started with the 12 series of distinctive
colors and flat edges, making it feel like a premium computational
tool. The rounded edge design that began with the iPhone 6 in 2014
suggested to me the phone was a 1960s science experiment.

Kelly

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone/CAOQRLb_kY6a-_QUz5e1Hstpc7C%3DdQc23dL98FesZpmsr_vn%2BKg%40mail.gmail.com.