Hello Karen,
I had this same issue on an iPhone10r and I did try using an external
braille display (Focus 14 Blue) in my case to try and enter the
passcode to unlock the phone. I was not able to do this and I had to
enter the passcode without sighted help using just the touch screen. I
also tried using Be My Eyes on a second phone without any luck. What
we found was that the screen would lock too quickly for them to try
and read the numbers on it to allow me to enter my passcode so I
finally was able to do this on my own.
I have refrained from rebooting the phone ever since.

--
Shai Wolman
Wolman Assistive