Sadly, none of the way this thing is set up makes any, well.... sense.
I was unable to input text into the notes app, but was able to use the
function key plus h for home. None of the other keys work for input.
there seems to be no set of keys that would be consistent with the
braille keyboard either. Will have to try and contact HIMS to see if
they can give me some pointers, though that doesn't sound promising
given what the original poster had said.

Scott