Well Apple says it's better if your phone doesn't just sit there at 100 percent all the time. the battery optimization is designed to keep this from happening. Lets say you go to sleep every night at 10:30 and plug your phone in and you wake up at 5:30. Your phone might reach 80 percent around 12:30. Then it will stop until around 4:45 or so where it will resume charging in order to be at 100 by the time you wake up. If you use your phone more than usual and put it on the charger early, it would then charge all the way because the new schedule isn't recognized. so according to Apple, it's better if you don't keep your phone plugged in all the time. It would put your battery under unnecessary stress and could make your battery health degrade a little quicker.

On 12/27/2022 8:29 PM, M. Taylor wrote:
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your post.

So, if Apple added the optimized battery setting, then it would seem that even
when the phone is connected to a charger, it will not charge to 100% even
though the A/C current is available, or so I would think.  This would lead me
to believe that leaving the phone connected to a charger would have no
detrimental affect on the device.

Batteries, batteries, batteries.  It would seem that, even at the end of 2022,
they are still the weakest link in the technology food chain.  I don't know;
just a thought.

You know what?  In my mind, I think of batteries in the same way as I think of
printers; boring but necessary (smile).

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Gordon
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2022 5:13 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Charging Your New Phone, Anyone?

It's not good to leave the charger connected all the time. This is why Apple
added that feature in battery settings called optimized charging.
This learns your sleep habits and keeps your battery at 80 percent for most of
the night and kicks in and finishes charging up to 100 percent before you wake
up. Lithium ion batteries don't like stress. They are under the most stress
when fully charged at 100 percent and below about
15 percent. So that's why Apple says keeping your battery between these points
is best for long life.