OK, try the following:

1) Open up Four Square and click on the Check In button at the top of
the screen.
2) Double tap on the search field and type something in there, like
"Mary Ellen's Place".
3) Now swipe right through the list of potential matches. Eventually
you'll get to an unlabelled button followed by the text "Add this place
so others can check in here." Below this button is the list of places
near your current location, so this button is in the middle of two
potentially long lists.
4) Click on the unlabelled button and you can add your place.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail