The lists I'm on at the moment are split pretty much between the reply
function going to the list versus the reply function going directly to
the sender. I actually see more people complaining about the situation
where the replies go directly to the sender than I see people
complaining about how this list is set up where the replies go out onto
the list. When replies don't go on to the list people complain that they
miss messages and that they forget to copy the list since it's such a
non-standard behaviour. I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't
going to be a consensus on how the list should be set up.

I use Thunderbird for most of my email handling. I use control+shift+l
if I want a message to go directly to the list, regardless of how the
list is set up. Depending on how the list is set up, I either use
control+r to reply or control+shift+r to reply to all and check the
address to make sure it's going to the sender and not the list. It's
been a while, but in the past I've used Lotus Notes, Outlook Express,
Outlook and Windows Live Mail with either JAWS or NVDA. I don't remember
how I did it, but I was always able to direct replies to the list or to
the sender.

IMHO, it's everyone's responsibility to understand the list rules and
how to use their email client and screen reader. I'm not saying changes
can't be made to make it easier for the bulk of the users, but these
changes won't solve all of the problems and won't take the place of
common sense and good list etiquette and behaviour.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail