Looks like you may be right. They have a twitter account which I found at:

https://mobile.twitter.com/taptapsee

And, if one reads through the tweets there, they indicate a combination of database algorithm and crowdsourcing being used.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lauren Simmons" <simmonslaure...@gmail.com
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com
Date sent: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 05:11:00 -0800
Subject: Re: Tap Tap See Privacy Statement

I think TapTapSee is using some derivative of crowd sourcing to determine objects and other photo content. When experimenting with this app I noticed there weren't actual specifics given, just an overall description of the object. Furthermore, the information sent back to me was not consistent. In Tom's case below, I'm assuming a sighted person on the other end was able to read the billboard and convey the sign's content. Whatever you do, I say you make sure you do not send pictures of personal information such as mail and such which can be used to identify you. By the way, on initial installation
I disabled location tracking and the app works just fine.

LS