Bonjour Anne,

    I see you got the StandScan pro! I have it too and think it very good. I
would just like to add one comment to your findings: it would appear, from your
two nearly excellent scans, that there is little to choose between the 9 volt
and 12 volt options, however, this is only true when there is reasonable
ambient lighting. Something I have been looking for, and think to have found
with the StandScan Pro, is a way of making sure that: 1. The phone is always in
the perfect position and 2. that the lighting within the box is perfect
regardless of other conditions. I have found that 12 volts of power is
necessary to obtain perfect/near perfect results even in complete darkness!
When the ambient light is good enough, one doesn't even need to use the LED
lights included in the StandScan box, but, especially, for those of us who have
no light perception, and are unable to avoid creating shadows etc, the
StandScan plus 12 volts of light, is capable of fulfilling these 2 requirements.

    By the way, did you buy the 12 volt battery holder, by any chance? I
thought I did, but it seems I didn't. If I can find it on their website, I will
try and order it, because I don't always want to rely upon a mains connection.

    Also, for those who are interested in these more abstruse points, your
scans were double page scans taken from a book, something to be aimed for, but
in general, single page scans are, as in the case of a letter in the post, the
most important challenge re access and independence. So, just an observation
from here: the other day a friend came round, all het up, with a letter from a
solicitor. My friend read it to me and wanted my reaction to it. He was
distressed and kept reading me the text, all in a rush, interjecting expletives
in lieu of commas! In the end I said "I'll just make a copy of this and read it
again when I can concentrate properly." I did this using the StandScan Pro, I
got a perfect scan and was able to find the word "or" in a significant sentence
which made all the difference! So, an example of the need to have absolutely
perfect scans sometimes.

    I am certainly glad to have this scanning aid and would recommend it to
anyone, regardless of their free-hand scanning skills. I think it will work
both for those of us who have developed a facility with the various scanning
apps and those who have had absolutely no success at all! But I would
definitely recommend the use of 12 volts for relyable results in all situations!

    Onwards and upwards! Sandy.

Sent from my iPhone