Hi Chris,

I don't know the answer exactly, but my guess would be that if you plug the
speaker into your headphone jack with the included 3.5mm audio cable then
this would overwrite Bluetooth and Airplay, I mean as soon as you plug in
the audio cable all audio output goes that way anyhow and there really is
little reason why you would want to play via Bluetooth or Airplay if that
cable is plugged in. On my Jambox the 3.5mm cable has priority, if for
example I connect the Jambox to my laptop with the cable I cannot play to it
via Bluetooth from my iPhone.

As far as playing via Bluetooth or Airplay that really is preference, the
benefit if you want to call it that is that if you use Airplay you could
play music or an audio book on the speaker and still use Voiceover on the
device to do something else, maybe write an email or play a game or
whatever. If you use Bluetooth then both Voiceover and whatever else you are
playing goes to the speaker and there would be that tiny delay in reaction
time if you were typing on the virtual keyboard you get with all Bluetooth
devices. I think it's definitely nice that the speaker supports Airplay.

The only thing that holds me back just a bit is the fact that the speaker is
not able to also be a speakerphone, but then again it is only $70.
I have access to a line of Bluetooth devices including a
speaker/speakerphone like the Jambox from a company called Outdoor
Technology. Their speaker is called the "Turtle Shell" as it's shape is
somewhat like that of a green seaturtle. I only heard it at a trade show
with a lot of background noise, but I would say it sounds probably as good
as or better than the Jambox, but the regular retail is only $149 directly
from their website.

Anyhow, I'll post a separate message about it in order to keep the topics
apart, but it is also a speakerphone, it's IPX6 water/dust proof, shockproof
and can be mounted in various ways.