From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of David Chittenden
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2013 3:40 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Kindle with Braille display

Please consider that sighted people do not have continuous reading on these
apps. They touch the display to visually simulate turning the page.
Therefore, it can be assumed that the text ends at the end of each page.
Making the assumption that Apple is limiting the braille display driver is a
large leap from this factor. We wish to believe so probably because Apple
set it up such that, when VoiceOver is reading aloud, it sends an automatic
command to the app to turn the page. During the page turn / text refresh,
there is a brief pause in VO speech.

My guess is that what you are experiencing is a text / screen refresh
situation. The same can occur on the computer running a braille display.
Screen readers usually provide a delay setting in the braille refresh to
insure the text has fully changed before it is displayed. I am willing to
bet that touching the iDevice's display will refresh the text to the current
page after the page turn command has been sent. Try thinking of it as the
computer equivalent of reaching out to turn the page whilst reading a
braille book.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288
Sent from my iPhone

On 25/05/2013, at 6:26, Scott Davert <scottslistm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eileen.
> Sadly, Apple is a closed type system, and if Android ever gets just as
> usable with braille as Apple, and it has the ability to do continuous
> reading, it's something I'll have to give a serious look. I use
> braille almost exclusively now, so it's a major thing for me. I'd love
> it if Apple would make it possible to scroll continuously with a
> braille display, but I'm sure it's very low on their list of
> priorities at this point. There are some rather significant VoiceOver
> issues that need reparing, namely, the inability to go from heading to
> heading without the page moving in odd ways.
>
> Scott
>
> On 5/24/13, Eileen Misrahi <eileen.misr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Scott,
>>
>> I guess these responses get me furious that Apple can be so anal and
>> controlling of what can be permitted or not. This is an accessibility
>> problem to make the reading experience more enjoyable and efficient. JMO.
>>
>> Eileen

Email:
>>> pe...@soundlinks.com http://www.soundlinks.com/ Tel': (+44) (0) 1494
>>> 794 797 Fax: (+44) (0) 1494
>>> 583 146 snail:// SoundLinks Limited, 43 Broadlands Avenue, Chesham,