Hi Sieghard,
I used to carry my 3GS in a Defender and used the belt clip quite a bit. As I
remember I started out with it on my right, dominant, side, but soon switched
it to my left too, though I couldn't remember why. Your question got me to
thinking and so I poked around the internet and found an article about
crossdraw holsters that provided a ready explanation: it's easier to access the
device from across your body, when you're sitting in a chair.

Sent from my iPad