Well said Sieghard, someone earlier was asking if you are a first iPad
owner, which one you should go for.
Personally, if you are getting a new iPad, and if you are a first time
user, i will suggest either you wait for a month or so to get an iPad
mini 2nd Gen, or an iPad air.
Reason why i said so is that, like iPad first gen, iPad II will soon
be unsupported, with the next iOS or two. However, if you get the air
or the mini 2nd ge, or even the iPad4 retina, you will have at least a
good run for at least 3 or 4 iOS before it fading out.
As far as if you should upgrade from iPad II to iPad air is like
asking if you should upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8 isn't it. If
you are happy with what you got, without lagging too much, then, i
don't see any reason why you should upgrade.
My housemate use an iPad 2, and running iOS 7.03. It is amazing how
moderate fast it is. Even with VO turn on, i don't seem any laggish
sign. I would say, iPad 2 on iOS7 is much more smoother compare to
iPhone 4 on iOS 7.