Kimber,
I realize that this topic is slowly beginning to deviate from the purpose of this list and so I somewhat hesitate to compose this on the list. However, I feel that, if this can benefit you or someone else who is resisting the Mac, I'd like to take the risk. Frankly, I wish someone had told me some of what I'm about to write. First, I'm also a user of Windows and have been using it since the mid-1990's. I first got into playing with assistive tech in 1987 and began working in the field in 1991. In general, I learn quickly and I like to think that I know how to teach what I know in a way that people can understand, without intimidating the student. Consequently, when my employer first purchased an iMac for my classroom I was humbled, to say the least. The Mac is very, very different from windows. It's not quite like going from a Braille 'n Speak to a BrailleNote or from a victor Stream to a booksense where the same concepts apply but you're just using a slightly different set of commands with buttons in different places. It's more like going from English to a foreign language like French. Some of what you know in the English language will serve you and will make the transition somewhat easier but, in general, there comes a point where you can't depend on your knowledge of your first language in order to learn the second one. You have to somehow let go and realize that French or another foreign language isn't English, will never be English and doesn't even try to present itself as English. You'll be tempted to yell and rant that those stupid French-speaking people place the adjective in the wrong part of the sentence and that they have no concept of correct grammar and syntax and if only they could just speak the way you speak the world would revolve properly on its axis and all would be well. The truth is, of course, that the native speaker of french might well be making the same complaint about our own language and they are no better or worse when it comes to grammar or syntax than we are; they're just different. There are things about the Mac which, sometimes, translate from the perspective of Windows but only to a point. You will be tempted to throw your Mac out the window and complain that Apple just doesn't get a clue and that they should be more like windows. They won't and they don't try to be, for the most part. I had similar frustrations about the Mac for quite some time. I'm still not to a point where I prefer it over windows but I've given it a chance and I at least understand why they do some of the things they do. Sometimes, the keyboard shortcuts seem unintuitive but if I'm going to be honest I'd have to say that my beloved windows screen readers sometimes use keystrokes which are equally unintuitive but we never complain because we just got used to it. Nobody wonders why alt-f4 is used to close a program in Windows, even though it's an odd choice and makes no sense. Actually, Microsoft probably chose it because if they chose a key like escape or alt-c for close we'd likely press them accidentally more often and we'd wind up unintentionally closing programs we didn't mean to close but it's still a bizarre choice for a key. Admittedly, some of apple's choices are equally bizarre. However, reading Alex's articles, along with listening to the tutorials from www.macfortheblind.com really helped me at least appreciate the Mac. It has advantages over windows but I think it's at least worth pursuing if you're feeling adventurous.

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

        David Goldfield,
       Founder and Peer Coordinator

   Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired