This isn't exactly true. Any Unix or Linux box I've installed or administered myself, I've had access to the entire file system. It's only been on systems where I've just been granted a user account where I only have access to my own home folder. For example, on the laptop I'm using right now, which is running Ubuntu, I have access to the systems entire file system.

On 6/4/2014 2:01 AM, RobH. wrote:
To pick up a point about access to the whole file structure of the
iDevice,...   Unix has never allowed that for security reasons,  the most
you got is a Home directory/folder;  so Apple could implement that for the
same reasons;  so long as we had a Folder to organise our own personal stuff
in how we like. Mac must do this, windows has, or had,  "Documents and
Settings" for user data trees; so it's pretty old hat now.

RobH.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher J Chaltain" <chalt...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: Accessibility Features in iOS8

I'm not sure iCloud Drive would satisfy those people who want to be able
to access their iPhone like a thumb drive. iCloud Drive would still only
work on an app by app basis. You couldn't copy your music over in the
folder structure you want, unless the Music app supported iCloud Drive
and then 5G won't go very far.

I too would like this feature myself, i.e. accessing the underlying
folder and file structure of the iPhone, but this isn't an oversight on
Apple's part. It's part of the design of the iPhone. I'd be surprised if
Apple were to change this any time soon, and for me at least, it just
became part of the decision making process. I'm getting an easier to
use, more accessible and more secure device at the cost of being able to
access the underlying file structure of the iPhone.