Since I didn't see a copyright notice at the bottom of the page, here is the AT&T next FAQ information from their website; and, best I can tell, one does pay more with the Next plan than with a two-year contract, but then one has more freedom with the Next plan or with buying the phone outright.
Taken from:

www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

Expand All
What is AT&T Next? AT&T Next offers you the opportunity to get a new smartphone every year or every 18 months. You have the choice to pay for your smartphone over 20 or 24 monthly installments. After 12 monthly installment payments (under 20-month plan) or 18 monthly installment payments (under 24-month plan), you may trade your smartphone in to upgrade to a new smartphone, or choose to keep it and make the remaining monthly installment payments. With AT&T Next, tax is due at the time of sale, but there are no down payment, activation, upgrade, or financing fees required.

Who is eligible for AT&T Next? AT&T Next is available for current customers who are eligible for an upgrade and whose accounts are in good standing, or for new customers with qualifying credit.

With respect to business customers and their Corporate Responsibility Users, a qualified small business agreement (for example, an AT&T Mobile Business Agreement) is also required.

Are there additional charges? Sales tax is charged on your new smartphone at the time of sale. There's no down payment and no activation or upgrade fee.

Is a contract required with AT&T Next? AT&T Next requires that you sign an installment agreement to pay for the smartphone over 20 or 24 monthly payments. If you cancel your wireless service, the remaining unpaid balance on the smartphone is due. Also, a Wireless Customer Agreement for your wireless service or qualified small business agreement (voice and data) is required.

How many installment plans can I have on my account? There's a limit of four per Consumer and Individual Responsibility account, and 10 per small business account. This includes AT&T Next installment agreements and tablet installment agreements.

What devices are eligible for AT&T Next? You can choose from a huge selection of the latest and most popular smartphones!

Do I own the smartphone? Or is this a leasing offer? The smartphone is yours, and you're responsible for 20 or 24 monthly installment payments. You're also responsible for any loss, theft, or damage to the smartphone - both during the installment agreement period and afterward. We recommend you purchase the optional Mobile Insurance to protect your investment.

How do I get a new smartphone every year with the program? After you have made 12 installment payments under a 20-month plan, or 18 installment payments under a 24-month plan, if your wireless account is in good standing, you can trade in your current smartphone to upgrade to a new one. All trade-ins must be fully functional, in good physical condition, and have the activation lock disabled. Select a new smartphone under a qualifying offer, which may include a new AT&T Next installment agreement.

How do I get a new tablet with the program? If you purchased a tablet with an AT&T Next installment plan (prior to Nov. 20, 2013), you can trade in the tablet for a new tablet after you have made 12 installment payments, but before you have made 20 installment payments, if your wireless account is in good standing. The tablet must be fully functional and in good physical condition. Your new tablet can be purchased with a new installment plan or any other currently available offers. Tablets purchased on or after Nov. 20, 2013, are not eligible for AT&T Next trade-ins.

When I trade in my smartphone after 12 or 18 months and get a new one, what's the length of my new installment plan? When you trade in your smartphone, no further installments are billed for the smartphone you traded in. You can start over with a new AT&T Next installment plan on a new smartphone. Currently available installment plans are 20 and 24 months long.

Will I be able to pay off this smartphone early? Yes, you have the option to pay off your installment agreement, but the full outstanding balance will be due immediately.

What payments are due if I cancel AT&T Next? With AT&T Next, you can pay off your installment payments in full at any time. If you want to cancel your wirless service with AT&T, the full outstanding balance on your installment agreement becomes due