Well said Terrie, thanks for speaking on behalf of many folks  on this list.

I couldn't  and maybe the responses could be  in the spirit of the

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Terrie Terlau
Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:51 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: unable to purchase knfb reader due to lack of money somebody gift
me please!

Hello everyone,
I am not a moderator and I apologize if I am stepping over a line, but I don't
think I am, and I need to share this. We have had some fairly harsh things to
say about ram's request. I totally agree that it is not OK to ask for a gift
like the KNFB Reader from this list. However, let's step outside of our own
United States shoes and into someone else's for a moment. From the name and the
English usage, I am guessing that Ram may not be a native English speaker and
may be from another country and another culture where asking for gifts from
strangers may not have the bad connotations that it does in the States. Also,
in the States, we have a 60-75% unemployment rate among blind people, depending
on how you figure the stats. We know that we have many blind people who have
not had the opportunities to learn independence, self-sufficiency, and the
skill set  that makes them empowered in this world. Given all that, I would
like to explain to Ram that I understand his/her need for the KNFB Reader, but
that we can't give it to him/her and that it is not a good idea to ask. I would
also like to explain that I feel very sad that Ram and many of us, blind and
sighted, don't  have what we need in this world. I send compassion and hope
that Ram can find resources to get what is needed. I also hope that we as a
list change our tone of responses.

I hope the above is not out of line. I deeply appreciate this list and the info
and help that you share. I have learned so much and have felt such a part of a
supportive community. Please let's think about saying no in a more
compassionate way.
Many blessings to members of all religions and to persons with varying
perspectives, Terrie Terlau