From:   VM/ESA and z/VM Discussions [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Jeff Gribbin, EDS
Sent:   Wednesday, March 01, 2006 4:08 AM
To:     VMESA-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: ICKDSF R17 CPVOL LIST - R/W DASD Required

Folks,
Great fun, but back to the topic <sigh>.

I am told that ICKDSF Development is saying that R17's behaviour is
perfectly reasonable and predictable and are currently refusing to budge.=

If you feel that ICKDSF is, "being rude" then, please, CALL IT IN.
Development won't consider fixing it all the time it's just the current =

handful of customers who're complaining.

Specifically, I'm asking for ICKDSF CPVOL LIST to always work when
presented with a R/O disk - this will give me back my Disaster Recovery =

procedures. I have also expressed concern that when it's presented with a=

R/W disk it's updating the VTOC, "under the covers" but, frankly, as my =

disks never need to go anywhere near a zOS system, this is a much lesser =

concern from where I'm sitting and, to get the big worry fixed, I'll play=

along if necessary.

Development are reportedly taking the attitude, "You only have to do it =

onece, so what's the problem?" I have asked my man to point out to them =

that it's quite a big problem when one is faced with several hundred
volumes and has to request Security changes to gain R/W access to Cylinde=
0. There's also no guarantee that a volume won't be missed (or re-
formatted with an earlier version of ICKDSF) so, all the time this
behaviour is possible, my procedures are no longer bullet proof. The word=

back, however, is that they're not listening.

Please, help me make 'em listen. Raise your own PMR today.

With thanks in anticipation.
Jeff

(BTW Great side-chat - The images it invokes make the pain generated by =

this problem almost-worthwhile <g>.)