At 5:31 PM +0000 3/19/01, Tim Scott wrote:
>I've recently been able to download the PERL 5.005... from www.sidhe.org and
>am wondering where is the best place to get modules for this from ?
Go to <http://search.cpan.org> and choose "Distribution" from the
drop-down list. Then enter the name of the module you're searching
for and click "Search."
>The modules I'm particularly interested in are File::Find; DBI and
>DBD::Oracle. Those which I have at the moment have '.'s in their directory
>names and subdirectory names and some of the file names aswell and I'm not
>sure how these should be translated or if there's another source I should be
>using.
The multiple dots will usually be translated to something by your FTP
or HTTP software. Sometimes you will need to rename archive files so
they have an extension that gunzip finds acceptable. The archive
names don't much matter as long as you can unpack the archive.
>I have an Alpha VMS system with DEC C. Which 'make' is recommended ?
> Or - is there a distribution which doesn't require 'make' ?
Everyone I know uses MMS or MMK. MMS is a layered product from
Compaq. MMK is a free MMS-lookalike and is available from
<http://www.madgoat.com>. At present there are no VMSINSTAL or PCSI
options for installing modules.
>I have spent some time previously searching for VMS/PERL notes, sites, FAQs
>etc but to no avail. From what I've seen today somebody on this list knows
>what they're talking about - and I would deduce they would think these
>questions trivial. Is this the only place to get such answers ?
The readme.vms file that should be in your Perl distribution is the
first place to go; this list is certainly the next. There are also
about 1,000 pages worth of documentation in the [.pod] directory of
your Perl distribution, most of it relevant to all platforms.
--
____________________________________________
Craig A. Berry
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]