On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Craig A. Berry wrote:

> At 5:31 PM +0000 3/19/01, Tim Scott wrote:
> >I've recently been able to download the PERL 5.005... from www.sidhe.org and
> >am wondering where is the best place to get modules for this from ?
> 
> Go to <http://search.cpan.org> and choose "Distribution" from the
> drop-down list.  Then enter the name of the module you're searching
> for and click "Search."

One other hint: searching for distributions that contain "VMS" seems more
fruitful than searching for modules that contain "VMS".  However the
original post concerned modules that were not necessarily VMS specific.

> >The modules I'm particularly interested in are File::Find; DBI and
> >DBD::Oracle. Those which I have at the moment have '.'s in their directory
> >names and subdirectory names and some of the file names aswell and I'm not
> >sure how these should be translated or if there's another source I should be
> >using.
> 
> The multiple dots will usually be translated to something by your FTP
> or HTTP software.  Sometimes you will need to rename archive files so
> they have an extension that gunzip finds acceptable.  The archive
> names don't much matter as long as you can unpack the archive.

File::Find comes with Perl.  The DBI and DBD::* modules need to be
installed separately via:

    set def [.module_dir-$version]
    perl Makefile.PL
    mms
    mms test
    mms install

I noted that Netscape 3.03 for VMS got a little buggy when it comes
to automatically changing file names.  The older version would do *.tar.gz
-> *.tar-gz but the newere one (3.03) does not.  Also the @ (as in the
devel kits [EMAIL PROTECTED] e.g.) do not get translated automatically and I
have to tell netscape to save that e.g. as perl_9215.tgz.  

One other point possibly worth mentioning is that however one gets the
file to VMS (via whatever renaming scheme appeals to you) that the
de-archivers do a great job translating file specs.  In particular unzip
and vmstar typically do tr/./_/ quite effectively.

> >I have an Alpha VMS system with DEC C. Which 'make' is recommended ?
> >     Or - is there a distribution which doesn't require 'make' ?
> 
> Everyone I know uses MMS or MMK.  MMS is a layered product from
> Compaq.  MMK is a free MMS-lookalike and is available from
> <http://www.madgoat.com>.  At present there are no VMSINSTAL or PCSI
> options for installing modules.

MMS is a part of the DECset suite of products from Compaq.  See if you
have it on your system via:

    $ mms/ident

if you obtain an error message then you'll need to buy(/license PAK)  
DECset or install MMK.

Peter Prymmer


Reply via email to