With STIR/SHAKEN (in theory) all calls will be signed, authenticated so you can
trace the originating carrier.  In an open peering environment you can use it
to accept/reject calls

Open SIP proxy handles all of the SIP traffic,  RTP goes directly between
carriers.
All calls originated must be signed (STIRred)

  *   Call isn’t signed, gets rejected by the SIP peering proxy
Terminating carrier can validate the signed calls (SHAKEN)

  *   Don’t like the signing CA?  reject the call
  *   Don’t like the signing carrier? Reject the call
  *   Carrier sending too many spam calls,  adjust treatment based on customer
spam settings

Routing is handled between terminating carrier and SIP peering proxy.
Originating carrier sends all calls to peering proxy first, if proxy doesn’t
have the route it sends a 4XX error back and originating carrier can continue
routing on other paths.

So terminating carriers would need to export/upload (hacked BGP?) numbers they
are willing to receive calls on to the peering proxy.

Proxies can be spun up in various AWS/Azure/GoogleCloud VPS