On 20 August 2015 at 19:11, Brooke Clarke <bro...@pacific.net> wrote:

> Hi Dave:
>
> I'd classify this article more like pseudoscience than April's fool.  To
> get an idea of the quality of the paper just check out the publisher.

Yes, the publisher does seem dubious. If Wikipedia is to be believed, they
were willing to publish a paper written by a random word generator. I did
not try looking very hard, but I can't see anything at indicate the authors
attributed with being at NPL are actually there.

But as Ed Breya points out, the circuit is not actually making an inductor.
Whereas with an LCR meter, or resistance meter one normally injects current
and measured the voltage at approximately the same place, using Kelvin
leads, the authors of that paper (if indeed they are the authors),
purposely inject the current at one place, and measure the voltage across a
quite different place.

I guess whether you consider it good  or pseudoscience depends on ones
perspective. It is certainly "interesting" - if it works at all. Tomorrow I
will get the soldering iron out!!

I got my 4284A LCR meter back from Keysight today, so tomorrow I will knock
one of those up and test the idea out. But I don't believe it will actually
be of any use in the calibration of an LCR meter, or even if verifying if
it drifts. Ultimately it is going to be limited by the drift in the
capacitance.

FWIW, if you did not see my earlier note, I stuck the cal certificate from
the LCR meter that came back from Keysight here.

http://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/cal_certificates/Keysight-standard-calibration-with-uncertainties-for-4284A-precison-LCR-meter-18-08-2015.pdf

No inductors were used to verify the performance - only resistors and
capacitors.

There's a trick one can do with capacitors and a transformer, to "fake"
other values, for want of a better expression. But they are available from
reputable sources like IET labs.

Dave