I cannot claim to be a ceramic cement expert.  Some cements are multiphase
- they include a chemical bond to start, a glass phase that melts and bonds
at higher temperature, and a ceramic forming phase that kicks in at at
higher temperature still.  Most are not intended to form a hermetic seal -
they are meant to be primarily mechanical.  It is the glass phase that is
most useful in hermetic bonding.  It may be that the R-919 was not properly
cured or had an inadequate glass phase.  I believe that Ryan just let it
air dry for a few hours and then started heating.  It could have blown
through before the seal was heated to the glass vitreous phase.  It should
have been cured to the vitreous phase at least before heating the whole
thing.

The next try will probably be with a Schott glass frit paste - all glass,
designed for hermetic sealing.  The glass will be melted in place at the
seal before heating the whole reactor with the fuel.