  From: Bob Higgins
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2015 9:52 AM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:Lithium aluminum thin film and the Kretschmann geometry

  Parkhomov's alumina tube has a wall thickness of 2.5mm and then he has 4-8 mm
of alumina cement on top of that.  I don't think any 3.6keV photons, if
produced in the reaction, would make it though that mass at a measurable level
above background.  Parkhomov uses an SI-8B pancake tube with a large area mica
window.  It is probably the one of the most sensitive detectors for that soft
x-ray.  That x-ray energy will not make it into an NaI scintillator.  The
problem with radiation detection in Parkhomov's setup is that the tube is
placed some distance from the reactor and photons would have to go through even
more material to get to the detector.