Parkhomov starts with a 10mm OD alumina tube with a 5mm ID bore (so the
wall of the tube is 2.5mm thick).  He plugs both ends with an alumina rod
and "cement" with the fuel inside.  He hasn't said what "cement" he uses to
hermetically seal the plugs in the tubing, but he does say that it is a
hard 3-day process.  After the hermetic plugged tube assembly is made he
winds this tube directly with a nichrome wire coil and paints it all over
with a thick alumina cement.  MFMP has asked Parkhomov what he used for
cement and what his hermetic sealing process was and he has not yet
responded.

In the mean time MFMP is discussing using a high temperature glass frit
seal for the plug.  One end is already molded and fired closed - the tube
was purchased that way.  So the fuel will be added, then an alumina wool
plug near the seal end, then the alumina plug painted with a glass frit
paste having a resulting thermal expansion matched to alumina.  Then the
fuel end will be cooled while the seal end is heated with a torch to melt
the seal glass and form a hermetic seal.  This is the MFMP "reaction tube",
about 0.25" OD.

The dogbone heater coil is wrapped around another alumina tube into which
the reaction tube can be inserted (slightly larger than 0.25" ID).  This
allows the reaction tube to be replaced without having to wind a new heater
coil and overmold it for every experiment.  In MFMP testing, the previously
fueled and sealed reactor tube is inserted into a dogbone heater tube that
has the coil wrapped and enclosed in molded alumina cement.  Power is
applied to the dogbone heater coil which heats the reactor tube that was
slipped inside.

Bob