Jed--

I think you assume that the reaction did not change the differential pressure
that the pump sees as the reaction occurs. (In other words the "baseline"
energy is a constant during the reaction.) What I have suggested is that the
differential pressure across the pump should be measured, and it should be
constant, if your assumption is valid.

If it is not, the pump energy input would have changed during the reaction.  I
thought that might occur, if boiling happened as a result of the energy input
from the reaction.

Local two phase flow in a water stream will change the pressure drop in that
region where two phase flow occurs.  Changes in the water viscosity (and
resulting pressure drop) with the small changes in temperature of the test
should be negligible compared to potential two phase flow conditions--i.e.,
steam bubbles plus liquid water.

The pump could give off a small amount of energy as radiant energy that is not
picked up by the temperature monitoring of the system.  The measurement of
power to the pump would, however, be a pretty good estimate of the energy
consumed by the pump at any time, including the reaction period.  I would rely
on those measurements to establish a baseline condition  and I would  monitor
power to make sure it does not change.  Then one could be sure that the only
increase in temperature (and associated energy) is caused by the reaction.
Even then some of the energy produced by the reaction may escape the system and
never be determined nor add to the temperature that is monitored.  The result
would be an under-estimate of the energy produced by the reaction.

In summary it is my conclusion that the pump head curve vs power should be
specified, the differential pressure across the pump should be recorded and
reported, and the electric power used through out the test by the pump and any
other electrical inputs should be monitored and reported as a function of time
like the temperatures were reported.

Finally, your reasons for removing the test results from your web page are
fuzzy.  The test report should be replaced consistent with your objective of
providing such information for review by the public.  In this regard I am at
somewhat a disadvantage in commenting, since I do not have the test setup at
hand and all the monitoring that was accomplished.

Warm regards,

Bob  Cook