Just to be clear, I'm not saying I disagree with the objections to Rossi
having handled the charge.

In general one has the impression scientists are pretty collegial with one
another.  They place a lot of trust in one another.  One scientist will say
to another, I'd like to take a second look at what you've done.  Can you
help me out, here?  But I want the study to be independent of yours, so I'm
going to do all of the analysis myself.  I just need you to help me out
with this, this and this.  The two would collaborate in that way, and then
the study would be called "independent."  It would also be considered as
such by publications such as *Nature* and *Science*.  There would be no
eyebrows that would be raised about this claim, because there is a
professional ethic that the scientists are assumed to follow, and their
reputations are on the line.

Sometimes the protocol is cranked up a notch, and you get single- and
double-blind studies.  The context is not a concern about fraud but a
concern about the researchers involved being unduly influenced by what they
already know.  Occasionally, perhaps, there is a shadow of a concern about
fraud, as might have been on some people's minds when the double-blind
study was done that Melvin Miles participated in in the early nineties,
where they looked at the question of how much helium was evolving from
electrolytic PdD systems.

In the case of Rossi, the context is different.  Rossi is not a member of
the research establishment, so different rules are been applied, and
concerns of fraud have been voiced on a number of occasions by skeptical
scientists.  I do not necessarily disagree with this application of a
different standard.  I only point it out.  I do wonder whether Rossi would
have been treated the same way if his background had been in research
science and he did not have the colorful personality that he has.

The standard of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" is a
phrase that goes back to Marcello Truzzi.  It has been debated here on
several different occasions.  It has been used by skeptics to justify
whatever they want.  To that extent, it does not seem like a very useful
heuristic.

Eric

Eric, the standard amongst academic colleagues is extraordinary claims