"In addition, if life expectancy suddenly got extended significantly, it
would so completely and irrevocably change the way we think and act, that
these parochial attitudes would be as obsolete as the dodo bird."

Exactly !
Talking about revolutions in thinking. The idea that death is good and
necessary is so ingrained in many people that is not even a paradigm is
some kind of mental block, a spell and sometime I think almost a form of
mental illness (that was imposed on us by the social environment almost as
a kind pollution).
People don't even realize that the future will bring us many ways to
enhance human life via augmentation so it is not just about keeping
people young, vibrant, active but also improving intelligence, learning and
even ethical standards.
Even if these goals are not achieved in the immediate future they should be
sought as ultimate fundamental rights.

Death even "natural death" by aging (there is no such a thing really given
that aging is a neglect by nature not something that is really programmed)
is an imposition on the human spirit and it should be eliminated. This
should be our highest goal. If you think correctly everything we do is an
effort to push away death. When you eat, sleep and so on you do it to
preserve your well being.

The entire field of medicine is devoted to this effort even if there are
few doctors that explicitly understand that the ultimate goal is not to
defeat this or that illness but death itself. Even in medical doctor the
mental illness of deathism is too ingrained for them to understand what is
the ultimate consequence of their profession.

There have been many studies showing that extending lives is actually a
powerful economic buster and in fact actually a solution to overpopulation
given that long lives in almost every country correlates with lower birth
rates. The countries that contribute most to population growths are the
poor countries with very short average life spans.

But radical life extension would bring the most profound revolution ever in
our way to think about ourselves and the universe. It would make us dream
big and make us project our life over time scales where almost anything
could be achieved both at the individual and social level.

So please dream big and leave behind this incredible mental prison that is