David L. Babcock <olb...@gmail.com> wrote:

You fail to factor in the enormous sheer tonnage of steel and other metals
> required.

I suppose a star ship would have to be made of stronger materials than
steel. Something more like what you make a space elevator out of.

> Confounding that it's not just peak oil we're at, it's peak nearly
> everything.

By the time we make star ships, we will already have colonized the solar
system. We will have all of the steel, carbon and other materials on all
planets and asteroids, which is a far larger mass of material than we have
available on earth.

However, as I said, I think it would be more convenient to collect a large
fraction of the sun's light and convert it back from energy into mass.
Assuming this can be done.

The sun loses 4 million tons per second in mass-energy conversion. If we
collect and convert it back into whatever elements we need, that is enough
to build any number of star ships in a short time. The largest cruise ships
today are 100,000 tons and they carry 5,000 people. So we could launch 40
cruise ships per second, enough to carry 200,000 people crammed together in
21st century quarters. Say, we launch one ship per second, of 4 million
tons, and it carries only 10,000 people in luxury. That would be 700,000
seconds to accommodate the entire present world population. That's 194
hours, or 8 days.

> Jed would argue, I think, that enough energy combined with engineering and
> plant materials -renewables- will make feasible cheap replacements for
> almost any sort of spacecraft components.

Not renewable. Extra-terrestrial.

>   I argue that the tonnage does you in. Visualize an ocean liner for every
> small town, a fleet of them for every city.

Visualize 40 ocean liners per second and you will have a more realistic
notion of what people will be capable of making -- a few thousand years
from now.

Not that people will construct such things, of course. Robots will.
Trillions and trillions of robots. Most of them no larger than an insect, I
suppose. Do not ask where they will come from. That is like asking where
bacteria come from. From other bacteria! They are self reproducing.